Friday 15 November 2013

More Kool-Aid Fun

Thanks to a fellow Raveler in ON, i have a few more Kool-Aid flavours to play with.


My first project involved a lone skein of Burlesque in Oatmeal.  I have a few more of the same yarn in a blue and i wanted something more fun to use in a colourwork sweater (eventually).

3 Watermelon + 1 Cherry = Coral Pink

I like these glass batter bowls.  I have two and they are the perfect size for dyeing one skein in the microwave.

After soaking the skien for an hour or two, i carefully submersed the yarn in the dye bath.

the original Oatmeal colour

immediately after adding the yarn to the cool dye bath

after a minute in the microwave on high

after two minutes

after a few 30s zaps

This photo progression shows how the yarn takes up the dye in stages.  Clear water and colourful yarn is the desired end result.

I thought i had a picture of the finished and dried skein, but i guess not.  I'll have to take one and add it later.

ETA:  Oops!  I forgot the other experiment!

orange, watermelon, cherry, peach-mango

watermelon, peach-mango

cherry, orange

this is a neppy pile of merino roving

clockwise from left: peach-mango, cherry, orange, watermelon

This was a lot of fun, but the final results (of which i do not have a picture >.<), were somewhat disappointing.  The colours blended more than i expected and so there is less definition than i wanted.  I think the next project will involve dipping or handpainting.  I plan to spin this thick-thin and maybe ply it with thread.

UPDATE:  ahha!  here are the results:

the Burlesque in Cherry Watermelon

the merino in Prairie Sunset
 It's snowy and slippery today, so i think i might have some more fun with Kool-Aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment